Sunday, September 29, 2013

Connecting Up Feathers in borders


How to get the angle of feathers so you can have a continuous feather border.


I had to do  ovals of feathers and the connecting of the feathers would show up if not perfect.


I do borders all the time that go around the quilt and connect them up so sometimes they are perfect and sometimes not.  So I set out to figure out how to do it consistently 

My thought was that I know the angle of my feathers is 45 degrees so why not mark that angle with chalk.  Of course my line is not straight it is a curve.  At the point where I want to start my feather, I put a line straight across the line of the stem no matter what angle it is at.  I want 90 degree angles


 You can see just below the feathers a chalk line forming 90 degree angles on the stem.  In the first feather on each side of the stem you can see the 45 degree line I made by dividing that 90 degree line in half  On the right side of the photo in the blue you can see a chalked line 90 degrees to the seam.  The seam was used as if it was the stem.  Again you can see the chalk mark in that first feather at the 45 degree angle..


The next photo shows a section where the feathers have been joined.  Can you find the join?  I'm not sure myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment