Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My first post.

A little about me

My name is Deb.   I am a quilter.  I think in another life I was an efficiency manager somewhere.  I like to solve problems.  I make discoveries as I quilt of how to do things easier and how to make them look better.

My current obsession is a repeat of how I started out, with quilted clothing.  Here in Wisconsin we are cold for 9 months of the year.  Vests and jackets are a great addition to a wardrobe and quilted or patchworked is just plain fun to wear.  The photo is me at the Madison Expo next to my quilt.  The skirt is made from bluejeans, the tote is quilted and the watch band is patchwork.




The first of the jackets and vests  shows a patchwork one that is at years old and one of the new jackets.

 The second photo show a vest using patches from denim and laces.  It was a great way to test some of those designs that came with my machine.  The denim vest has the pattern showing better on the lining than the denim outside but oh well, the outer color is better for me to wear.
 The purple vest is from fabric given to me by Kathleen, a friend.  It is actually the backside of the fabric.  She challenged me to have it made up into something by our local group meeting 10 days away.  The "right" side of the fabric was purple and metallic gold.

 The rose vest matches a quilt.  The blue/purple vest is a snow dyed fabric that I tried out a new design on.


In my blog, I am hoping to share what I am working on, what I am learning and discovering.

Tips on making quilted clothing

As I said, my current obsession is making vests and jackets.  This is what I have learned:

 I have discovered it is better to do the quilting on rectangles.  I mark the outline of my pattern  with chalk then add and inch outside of that line.  I quilt out to include that extra inch.  After all is quilted, I wash the rectangles.  Then I cut out my pattern pieces.  In this way, I know the exact size my garment will turn out after I have shrunk it up  and that it will be that same size after I have wash it.


This is one of the rectangles that will make the fronts of a vest  In the middle of the circles, you can see blank space.  That is the waste area of the neckline. My favorite batting is wool.  I am told silk is also wonderful but have not tried it yet.  Wool stays soft and drapes.  I am told that also applies to Silk.  Polyester batting will not drape as well and is not as comfortable to wear.



1 comment:

  1. This is my friend from Wisconsin who is my mentor for quilting. She taught me everything I know about quilting and stepped forward to help me with my craft when nobody else would. Even though we have never physically met...we e-mail each other daily and we have become good friends.

    ReplyDelete